Thursday, May 15, 2008

Cherished

Blake @ 31 weeks
We have a little under 2 months before Blake is due to be here, but at the rate he is growing I am quite sure I won't go to full term this time either. The picture above is from 2 weeks ago, so I will try to post updated pictures soon. This has been an interesting pregnancy the last two months. I had really been struggling with tons of contractions and shooting pains throughout my body. Knowing something wasn't right I had requested to be checked at each doctors visit to make sure I wasn't dilating. Each time I got a great report. This wasn't making since to me, so at my last appointment I requested that they do some cultures on me. They got the results back and I have a UT infection. Thank you Jesus for letting me know I am not insane. Since the doctors haven't been able to find anything going on with me, I just learned to suck it up and deal with it. I stopped strenuous activity and changed some of the foods in my diet to try to get some relief, but none of it seemed to help my symptoms. Now that they know what it is they have started me on some antibiotics that have cleared up most of my problems. My nurse informed me that since I am carrying the group B staff infection they will have to put me on an antibiotic drip during labor to protect Blake from contracting any infection. I was hoping to not have to be hooked up to anything during labor and delivery, but I learned with my first pregnancy that your birth plan has to be flexible and ready for change at any point. With this delivery I didn't want to have an IV in my arm. That way I could walk around and get into the tub without having to drag around a big metal bar on wheels. Also, when I went into the hospital to be induced with Ally they hooked me up to an IV of fluids as soon as I sat down in the bed. The nurses got the fluids flowing and never thought to stop and take them out when my labor wasn't starting. Two days later Allyson decided to make her grand entrance into the world. You can only imagine how much water was being pumped into my veins over a matter of 48 hours. Usually after delivery you drop quite a few pounds, but that wasn't the case for me. I believe I had gained 8 pounds of water weight. The nurses thought it was funny that when I would take my hand and press down on my legs there would be a permanent hand print left in its place. My body was so swollen with fluids that my skin acted like a memory foam pillow when you pushed down on it. I wish I would have taken a picture of my legs for the memory books. I think they defined a whole new definition for the word kankles.
I am currently 33 weeks and I must say that it saddens me to think that it all might be over soon. With Allyson I couldn't wait to get her out and hold her in my arms. Everything was so new to me and I couldn't wait to experience the next stage. A week after being home with my new baby girl I was brought to tears remembering how much I truly enjoyed having her in my belly. I just feel like I want more time with Blake in this pregnancy. Yes, I have my uncomfortable days and nights that I just want to be able to fall asleep without an active boy kicking my insides, but I am quickly reminded to even cherish those unwanted times because soon this stage in my life will come to a halt and I will never again be able to experience the blessing of caring a child in my womb. Every morning I sit up in bed, grab my belly, and thank God for another day of enjoying Blakes growth inside of me. I truly LOVE being pregnant. I am just not ready for it to end.

2 comments:

Jennifer, Eric, Isaiah, and Noah Heuer said...

precious words, Lisa! I pray all goes well for Blake's delivery! You are looking great!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading all of your blogs. You say "never being pregnant again" does that mean Blake will be your last? If so, you are stronger than me girl. I cant imagine ever getting to a place and saying, "Ok, no more little ones." My husband is freaking out cause I swear I never want to stop having babies. It was the BEST day of my life!